Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Starting out

When I cloth diapered my oldest not many people knew about cloth. My family thought I was crazy. My mom had cloth diapered me many years ago so she offered some advice.

With my daughter we wanted to save money and save the environment. The big brand at that time was bumgenius. That was a bit pricy and since we were just getting started we didn't want to spend that much at the start. 

We chose to buy gerber prefolds and vinyl wet pants. We learned many different folds and used cloth diaper pins. I was so proud of my little cloth stash. We had leaks but that was to be expected as this was all new to us. 

After a few months my daughter started getting chunky thighs and the vinyl seemed to be irritating her poor legs. So we looked into different options for covers. We had so many prefolds that I didn't want to buy anything else.

 We stumbled on econobum covers. We were so happy to have found a different cover to use. But after about another month she was outpeeing the prefolds at night and we wanted to find a new night solution. Our local target had just started carrying Charlie banana diapers and they looked really neat so we decided we would try those. I'll do a review on a later date of all these styles of diapers but we weren't satisfied with any of these options. 

Thankfully my daughter potty trained at a relatively young age so we didn't have to worry about all the leaks. We always packed many outfits to bring with us for all the leaks we always had. 

Cloth diapering has changed drastically over the years. There are so many more options now for my son and we rarely ever have leaks. I'm glad that cloth has become so mainstream that I have been able to have options and figure out what works best for our baby. I will come back to make posts once a day and review all the diapers we've tried and what has worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment